Living in Poland


Students from the European Union

You do not need a visa to come to Poland to study. However, after beginning your studies you will be required to legalize your stay in Poland by applying for a residence permit from the voivodship where you are living. The residence permit is valid for one year and can be extended every year until the completion of your studies. You can download an information package from [here]. You will find more practical information about: arriving in Poland, legalizing your stay, medical care and insurance, recognition of diplomas, driving license, addresses of diplomatic missions of EU and EEA in Poland [here].

Students from outside the European Union

Once you are accepted as a student of our program, you will have to apply for a Polish student visa in your country of origin. You can search for more information [here]. Contact a Polish consulate or embassy for complete details of the application procedure. You will find a list of Polish diplomatic missions [here]. You can apply for a visa [here].

If you need help with legalizing your stay in Poland, please contact the Office for Student Affairs at UW: Sebastian Pawlak

The new Act on Foreigners is binding from 01 May 2014. It introduces many positive changes to previous procedures. To find out more, please see [this website].


During the time of your studies, you need to have health insurance.

EU citizens

In order to use the free of charge health services in Poland, a student needs to have a European Health Insurance Card which is issued in the student's home country. More info [here] and [here].

Citizens from outside the EU

In order to obtain voluntary health insurance in Poland, a student should buy the insurance individually in a private institution or he/she should go to a National Health Fund (Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia - NFZ, Grójecka Street 186 in Warsaw) to sign a contract for foreign students. The monthly insurance fee for students is ca. 40-50 PLN. More info [here] (in Polish). Please note: students who plan to go to NFZ and who do not speak Polish should take a Polish friend with them - this will make the communication easier.

Polish students who live together with their parents outside of the EU and who have Polish citizenship

Regarding the health insurance please contact the Welfare Section of the Office for Student Affairs at UW (Sekcja Socjalna Biura Spraw Studenckich UW). More info [here].


Foreign high school diplomas need to be recognised by Polish authorities which will issue a statement confirming that your diploma is legal in Poland (this is called "nostryfikacja"). The offce that is responsible for the diploma recognition is called Kuratorium Oswiaty. Please check their [website] for details.

A short guide how to complete the diploma recognition process can be also found on our website in the Admissions section.


Disabled students looking for information or help may contact:

Mr. Paweł Wdówik
Head of the Office for Persons with Disabilities
(Biuro ds. Osób Niepełnosprawnych)

Office for Persons with Disabilities (Biuro Osób Niepełnosprawnych)

ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28
00-927 Warszawa

Office hours: Mon, Wed, Fri: 8:00-13:00; Tue: 14:00-17:00; Thu: 13:00-16:00

tel. +48 22 55 20 277; +48 22 55 24 222
Mon, Wed, Fri, from 10.00 to 14.00;
Tue: 14:00-17:00; Thu: 13:00-16:00

  • Secratery's office:
    tel. +48 22 55 24 222
  • Student matters:
    tel. +48 22 55 20 277
    tel. +48 22 55 24 056
  • Computer Centre for Blind and Vision Impaired Students - CNIN:
    tel. +48 22 55 20 843
  • Spoken Book Library: tel. +48 22 55 25 383
  • University transport: tel. +48 22 55 24 224
  • e-mail:

Every person that has problems studying due to their health problems, can seek assisstance/help at the Office for Persons with Disabilities.

The Office:

  • guarantees full participation in classes for those who are diasbled or are chronically ill
  • guarantees access to information and literature in alternative forms - brail, enlarged font, sign language, etc.
  • adaptation of university structures to the abilities of the disabled

People with the following are encouraged to use the Office: 

  • with disabled movement, sight, hearing, etc;
  • with any type of cancer;
  • with diabetes;
  • with cardiac defect and with cardiovascular disorders;
  • with mental disorders;
  • with AIDS;
  • with multiple scelorsis;
  • with other prolonged disorders, that can affect their ability to study

Information about your state of health is treated as confidential.

Anyone who is seeking help, should supply documentary evidence of their ilness or disability.

What does the Office offer?

The type of help offered depends on the type and degree of the student's disability.

The Blind and Vision Impaired

The University of Warsaw is the best prepared university in Poland regarding solutions offered to its blind students. We offer access to all the needed literature and new specialistic technology. The University has a Computer Centre for Blind and Partially Blind, which enables individual work with the computer as well as professional help in using the computer equipment and surfing the internet. The University Library has symplified the access to its volumes. You can also depend on a guide when you get to know the University grounds. The Spoken Book Library also exists, where all needed textbooks are recorded by volunteers. The University also has a rental of specialised electronic and computer equipment (eg. laptops, brail notes) for its disabled students.

The Deaf and Hearing Impaired

In the Audytorium Maximum building the FM system is installed. Additionally the University is equiped with the portable FM Solaris system.

People with Movement Disability

Students on wheel chairs can use specially adapted University buses to move from their place of accomodation to their classes. Students that do not come from Warsaw can live in specially adapted student dormitories. However, the University does not provide any services connected with daily activities. The building of the Faculty of Psychology is adapted to the needs of students moving in wheelchairs. The Univeristy owns a rental of specialistic computer equipment (eg. laptops, different sorts of keyboards and devices following the mouse movements) for its disabled students.


Health services for students and scholars are provided at the following health centres:

  • Krakowskie Przedmieście 24/26 +48 22 55 20 365
  • Narbutta 85 +48 22 849 96 18
  • Waryńskiego 10a +48 22 825 48 69
  • Żwirki i Wigury +48 22 554 80 40

Payment in cash (in Polish złoty - PLN) is required for every visit. 

Average costs:
Physician: 8 EUR
Dentist: 15 EUR

Beginning on 1 May 2004, EU citizens are entitled to free health service providing they present:

  1. a current student ID
  2. a current passport or other ID card/ID document
  3. one of the following insurance certificates:
    • E-paper (eg. E111, E128) or
    • European Health Insurance Card or
    • Insurance Certificate issued in a home country or
    • a certificate issued in Poland by National Health Fund (NFZ - Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia) on the basis of the documents listed above.

The documents are issued for a defined period. Free health service is provided to the holder of those documents during that period only.

More information about the Polish health care system and information for foreigners can be found here.

You can also contact the National Helth Fund directly:
Centrala Narodowego Funduszu Zdrowia
- Biuro Współpracy Międzynarodowej
(Head office of the National Health Fund
- The International Cooperation Office)
Grójecka 186
02-390 Warszawa
phone: (+48 22) 572-60-36, 572-60-36, 572-61-12
fax: (+48 22) 572-63-30


If you want to study in one country and after the graduation you would like to work in another country, you should be aware of the fact that each country has its own regulations regarding the diploma and professional qualifications recognition. Within the Europen Union it is to some extent regulated by law. Detailed information about appropriate authorities in different countries can be found [here] and [here].


The average cost of living in Poland depends on individual lifestyle, but 500-600 Euro monthly should be enough (1 EUR = 4,25 PLN as of February 2012).

Some examples (per month):

  • accommodation – ca 200-600 EUR
  • food – min. 200 EUR
  • local transport – about 12 EUR for a monthly city ticket with a student id
  • taxi – ca 0.70 EUR/km


Emergency telephones numbers

  • From mobile phones: all emergency services: 112
  • From stationary phones:
    • Police - policja: 997
    • Ambulance – pogotowie ratunkowe: 999
    • Fire brigade – straż pożarna: 998

Information telephone numbers

  • Tourist information, 1/3 Zamkowy Sq.,: +48 22 635 18 81
  • Poland tourist information: +48 22 94 78,
  • Warsaw tourist information: +48 22 94 31,
  • Railway: +48 22 94 36
  • Taxi: e.g. MPT +48 22 19191, Wawa Taxi +48 22 333 4444

University of Warsaw Main Campus
Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28
tel. +48 22 55 20 000

University of Warsaw Recruitment Office
Kazimierzowski Palace, room 4
Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28
tel. +48 22 55 24 043, +48 22 55 24 048
fax +48 22 55 24 050

University of Warsaw Faculty of Psychology  
Stawki 5/7
tel. +48 22 55 49 722; +48 22 55 49 845
fax +48 22 55 49 718 or

University of Warsaw Main Library
Dobra 56/66
tel. +48 22 55 25 178, 55 25 179

International Relations Office
Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28, Kazimierzowski Palace, room: 22, 28
tel. +48 22 55 24 009
fax +48 22 55 24 011

Centre of Polish Language and Culture for Foreigners „Polonicum”
Krakowskie Przedmiescie 32
tel. +48 22 55 20 530; +48 22 55 20 533

Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Al. Szucha 23
tel. +48 22 523 90 00

Ministry of Science and Higher Education
Hoża Street 20
tel.  +48 22 529 27 18

Education Office in Warsaw (Kuratorium Oświaty),
Aleje Jerozolimskie 32,
tel. +48 22 551 24 00
fax +48 22 826 64 97


The Centre of Polish Language and Culture for Foreigners “Polonicum” is the best place to learn or to improve your Polish.

The Institute offers foreign students the opportunity to study Polish language and culture as a supplement to their study or research. They can attend lessons of Polish language on various levels, lectures in Polish literature, history and culture, films, audio-visual programmes, lessons in museums, etc. You may choose between 4 and 8 hours of instruction per week.

A short introductory course in Polish language and culture is organized for foreign students of WISP in the 2nd half of September.

Students interested in participating in Polonicum courses should register online at
For more information please contact the Centre directly:
Krakowskie Przedmieście 32, 00-927 Warsaw
tel. +48 22 55 20 530, 22 55 20 533
fax +48  22 55 21 555


Tandem is a system of learning foreign languages with a student – native speaker during individual meetings. The form, the place and the frequency of the meetings depend on your own needs and preferences. No experience is required – these are not professional classes. Tandem should be a pleasure for both of the Tandem partners.


Are you afraid of the lack of language knowledge, you know nothing about life in Warsaw and you’d like someone to pick you up at the airport or a railway station? A mentor will help you.

He or she will get in touch with you before your arrival in Warsaw. You can ask your mentor millions of questions before you come here. Your mentor will meet you at the airport or a railway station, take you to the dormitory and help you fill out all the necessary application forms. He or she will show you were to buy a city communication card.

Your mentor will also show you around the University of Warsaw & your department, where to go for  lunch, disco, or meet with your friends over a pint of beer.

If you want to know more about the ’’Mentor’’ programme or if you have any questions, take a look at [this website].

  • Erasmus Student Network

    ESN organizes events, trips etc. for students. Not only foreign, but also Polish students are welcome to take part!

  • Career Office at UW

    A place where you can search for internships/jobs or simply an advice about the market.

  • WISP Student Union

    Here is where you can find WISP Students. Turn to them with questions and problems if you have any.

Student Profile

This is University of Warsaw

See our University!

This is University of Warsaw