I'm in!

Congratulations for qualifying!

You can now enroll in our program. If everything is well, you have been informed both through your IRK account and you will be soon informed by email of the next steps you have to undertake to enroll. This requires quite a bit of documentation, but we will try to help to guide you through this.

The documents we will need from you depend on your nationality and high school diploma; we will describe the documents we need from every applicant first, and then turn to additional documentation needed depending on nationality and diploma.


1. In your IRK account at the University of Warsaw you need to print out and send us three forms:

  1. A personal questionnaire printed out from candidate’s individual registration account in the Candidate’s Registration System and signed up by the candidate
  2. An application for a student ID-card (please make sure to upload your ID picture first. This picture has to be according to the standards for an official ID/passport picture in Poland. See examples of pictures [here] - see especially page 3 of the instruction; pictures in green frames are appropriate; pictures in red frames are incorrect. Selfies are not appropriate J
  3. Statement about having read the financial contract

2. The proof of payment for the student ID-card (22 PLN). (Polish law specifies that students need to pay this fee themselves and may not be included in the overall tuition fee.) The bank account to which the transfer needs to be made is specific for this purpose only and is:

Uniwersytet Warszawski
Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28
00-927 Warszawa

bank: Bank Millenium S.A.
bank address: ul. Stanisława Żaryna 2A, 02-593 Warszawa
account number: 56 1160 2202 0000 0000 7648 6236
payment title: opłata za wydanie legitymacji


Make sure your name is included in the payment’s description if the transfer is not made from your own account.

  • 3. The original of your secondary school/high school diploma. You will be returned your diploma after enrolment. For now a copy could suffice if you feel unsure about using postal services for sending your diploma. Also, if you would need your diploma in order to obtain an apostille or to have it legalized, please let us know.

If you are Polish, but have a foreign diploma, points 4-6 apply to you as well.

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR NON-POLISH CANDIDATES (and Polish candidates with foreign high school diplomas)

Foreign diplomas, to be recognized in Poland need to be accompanied by additional documents. Some of them may be obtained in the country where the diploma was issued, so you have to take care of them before you come to Poland, as they cannot be completed once you are here. (This does not apply to Polish diplomas, and to IB and EB diplomas.)

  • 4. An apostille provided by the country issuing the diploma, confirming the authenticity of the source of the diploma. The institutions that provide apostilles differ per country, and sometimes even per state within a country. You will have to contact local authorities to find out where to obtain the apostille for your diploma. If you have obtained a diploma from a school of one country in another country – for instance an American school in France – you may have to contact the authorities of the country that accredited the school – in this case the US authorities, as the diploma was issued by the United States, not by France. 

    Apostilles are only provided by countries which have signed the Hague convention. Many countries have signed this convention, but not all; to check whether the country issuing your diploma is one of them, please look [here].

    If the country issuing the diploma has not signed the Hague convention, you will have to legalize the diploma in a different way, most often at the Polish embassy or consulate in the country in which the diploma was obtained. 
    IMPORTANT: if your diploma consists of multiple pages, each page needs to be legalized separately!

    An apostille/legalization is a part of the diploma nostrification procedure. If your diploma was issued by a country which is nota member of the [EU], [EFTA] or [OECD], you will also need to fulfill point 12 of this list.
  • 5. If not mentioned on your diploma, you need to provide an official statement confirming that the diploma allows access to university education in the country that issued the diploma. The institution authorized to provide such a statement may differ per country, but usually it is a Polish consulate/embassy in your country or a consulate/embassy of your country in Poland. In some cases an educational authority, such as a ministry may have to be involved. If your diploma was issued by any of the EU/EFTA/OECD country, you may provide the statement issued by your school.
  • 6. Translations of the following documents to English or Polish, by a sworn translator.
    • Diploma
    • Apostille
    • Statement that diploma provides access to university education

In case your diploma was issued by a country in the [EU], [EFTA] or [OECD] the translation may be into Polish or into English. In case your diploma was issued by a country who is not a member of the EU/EFTA/OECD, then the documents must be translated into Polish by a sworn translator who is accredited by the Polish authorities. Either you have the translations done in Poland as there are relatively many of these translators here, or you have to contact the Polish embassy or consulate in your country to find a translator who has Polish accreditation.


  • 7. All applicants who are admitted to the University need to provide a proof that they master a sufficient level of English language proficiency. If you are a native English speaker or if you have citizenship of a country where the official language is English, this will be regarded as sufficient proof, and you will not have provide any additional proof. Also, in case you have completed education beyond primary school in which the primary language of instruction was English, you will not need to provide additional proof of English proficiency. (In this context education is considered to be: high school, junior-high, bachelor and master studies -college/university-, PhD studies, etc.). If the previously mentioned situations do not apply to you, you will have to provide a recognized certificate attesting that your level of English is at least B2. There are different certificates and tests that are accepted as proof. For a list of accepted tests and minimum scores click [here].
  • 8. Nostrification. It is needed if your diploma was issued by a  country outside of the [EU], [EFTA] or [OECD]. The actual nostrification or diploma recognition has to be done in Poland, in Warsaw. The office or institution responsible is an office of Polish education called the “Kuratorium”, located at Al. Jerozolimskie 32, 00-024, Warsaw, room 512. There you need to fill in a form, requesting for legalization of your foreign diploma. The documents you need to bring with you are:
  1. Your original high school diploma
  2. In case grades are not mentioned on the diploma, a transcript of records,
  3. In case not mentioned on the diploma, a statement that the diploma makes you eligible to study at a university in the country that issued the diploma.
  4. Apostille (or legalization in case the apostille does not apply).
  5. The original sworn translations into Polish of the above documents. These translations need to be done by a translator accredited by Polish authorities ("tłumacz przysięgły") and will stay with the Kuratorium. You need to provide copies of them to WISP.
  6. A copy of your passport

If you are not planning to make the request in person, you will need to sign a written declaration that you authorize the person you send in your place. 

For more information please visit the website of the Kuratorium: http://www.kuratorium.waw.pl/en/nostrification-of-certi/8177,Recognition-of-certificates.html

The treatment of your request for nostrification typically will take several weeks. The final document issued by the Kuratorium is a statement (“zaswadczenie”) that your diploma is treated in Poland as equal to a Polish diploma.

What you need to bring to us is the document you received from the Kuratorium. You will have the whole first semester to do the nostrification.

Student Profile

This is University of Warsaw

See our University!

This is University of Warsaw