Rules and regulations

Passing your year of studies

To pass your year you have to complete all obligatory courses and to have enough credits. As you completed electives, OGUN’s and/or language and specialization courses, you have to indicate which courses/credits you will use to complete your year and then give us a signal to count your credits and make you advance to the next year.

For this you need to know about linking and to “deliver your program for check-up”. By linking, you indicate which courses/ credits you will use to complete your year; delivering your program for check up means, in USOS-language, that you ask us to count your credits and check the other requirements.

In case you do not fulfill the requirements of the year, please read the part below on “not passing”.



What is it?

Linking is the procedure by which you indicate to make use of the credits of an elective, specialization, language or OGUN course you completed. Courses can be linked to a specific year of study, and in that way you make use of the credits of that course to pass the year you linked it to. Linking is obligatory.

Why does it exist?

Often students do more courses than is needed to pass a year and so they have surplus credits. To pass a year no more than 60 credits are needed however, and through linking you choose which credits/courses to use to complete a year.

Should I care about it?

Yes, for different reasons:

  1. Without linking courses to a year, you will lack credits to pass the year. Note that linking is part of each student’s formal obligations (Rules of study of the University of Warsaw, paragraph 28, point 3)
  2. By linking courses to a year, you have some influence on your Grade Point Average (GPA). Your GPA is calculated based on the courses that are linked, so if you have surplus credits and link the courses with the highest grades and leave the courses with the lowest grades unlinked, your GPA will be better.
  3. If you have surplus credits, you can take a lower course load during a later year, and pass that year by making use of the surplus credits you gathered earlier. For example, if you have 12 surplus credits at the end of a year, then the next year if you do only 48 credits you can still pass it by adding the 12 surplus credits from before. This is particularly useful if you go on exchange/ Erasmus or for when you are finishing your Master’s.

What happens if I do not link?

Technically you can then not complete your year, which without further action would result in no longer being a student. To prevent such severe consequences, the office at random will link courses and try to get to 60 credits. Note that after this is done, no corrections can be made, and so you lose your possibility of choosing which courses to link.

What happens if I link too much?

You should have linked 60 credits to a year, not more. Sometimes it is impossible to link precisely 60, so you must link 61 or 62 credits, but you must try to get as close to 60 as possible. If you link simply too much, for instance 65 or 71, then the office will at random unlink some courses to get as close to 60 as possible.

When to link?

Before you deliver your program for check-up, see below. In practice that means:

If you have no retakes, till one week after the end of exam session; that means July 07 2019.

If you do have retakes, till one week after the end of the retake exam session; 22 September 2019.

How to link?

See the [manual on linking].


Delivering my program for check-up

What is it?

It essentially means that you ask the WISP office to formally verify your study progress. This request is made through USOSweb.

Why does it exist?

As you complete elective courses, OGUN’s and / or specialization courses you can choose, the administration does not know which of these you would like to use to pass a given year. After you indicate which courses you would like to use during a given year (through “linking” –see below), we can count your credits and make you advance to the next year of studies. Delivering the program for check-up essentially is your request to us to do this.  

Should I care about it?

See the part on linking above

When to deliver my program for check-up?

Within seven days after the end of the exam session during which you received your last grades. So if you passed all courses in first instance, this is July 7 2019. In case you have a retake, it means within seven days after the end of the re-sit session in September, which is September 22 2019.

How to do it?

See the [manual on linking], page 3.


Not Passing

Not passing happens in case you do not fulfill the requirements of the year. This can be the result of:

-        not having 60 ECTS

-        not having passed all obligatory courses

-        For year three, also the language and PE requirements count

You can conditionally pass the year in case you do not miss more than 2 obligatory courses, and if you miss no credits besides the ones from these courses. If besides of not passing one obligatory course you also miss credits, then you can conditionally pass to the next year if you have at least 49 credits.

In this case you can move to the higher year, but you must complete the courses you did not pass , or to make up for the credits you missed, in addition to the course of the higher year.

To be allowed to pass conditionally to the next year, you must request the Dean for permission no later than September 21.

In case you did not pass 3 or more obligatory courses, or miss too many credits to conditionally pass the year you can “repeat” the year of studies. The meaning of this is primarily administrative: you will not have to do courses again that you already passed. It means that formally you again will be on the same year.

To be allowed to repeat a year of studies, you must request the Dean for permission no later than September 21.

You may also request the Dean to be allowed to complete courses of the higher year (both obligatory and elective), so that your study progress is not delayed too much. With registration for elective courses you will be disadvantaged however; in USOS you will have access to courses that are designated for the year you are formally on – the one you are repeating – and you cannot by yourself enroll for courses of the higher year even if you have formal permission. You will be allowed to choose courses, but this will be an individual procedure, after a respective round of registration has ended.


In case a course or a year of studies is not passed, payments apply that can be found [here].

Passing and grading courses

With few exceptions, approved by the Faculty Council, all courses are passed for a grade. The following grading scale is used:

Excellent 5.0
Very good 5.0
Better than good 4.5
Good 4.0
Satisfactory 3.5
Sufficient 3.0
Fail 2.0

The grade from each course, both those ending in an exam and those not ending in an exam, should be entered into the electronic system (USOS) at the end of the exam session (or a week after the end of the make-up exam session at the latest).
If a student receives a failing grade on an exam (this concerns only obligatory courses that are lectures), the student is allowed one make-up exam in each subject. The make-up exam should occur before the end of the make-up exam session. At the end of the make-up exam session, the examiner enters the grades into the internet protocol, and those grades are final.
Information about commission exams: within seven days from the date when classes were terminated or credit results announced, in case of objections as to the form of the credit award or impartiality in the grade award, the student shall be entitled to appeal to the Dean, who may resolve that the student’s result be verified by a board. Within seven days of the date of an examination, in case of objections as to its form or conduct, the student shall have the right to apply to the Dean for an exam before a board. In case of objections to the impartiality of exam grading, the right to apply for an exam before a board shall be exercisable within seven days of the date on which the exam results were announced. The Dean shall decide whether an exam before a board is to be held.

In case of absence in the first or second exam session due to a serious medical condition or other reasons that are justified by the Dean, the student has the right to make up one or two exam dates (if both absences are justified). A request for a justified absence must be submitted to the Dean's Office on the day of the exam at the latest. In case of illness, this request can be made by telephone, and a doctor's note must be submitted within seven days.

In the case of unjustified absence at a scheduled exam, the student loses the right to one exam session without receiving a grade. If the student is absent without justification at two scheduled exam or evaluation sessions, the course cannot be passed in that academic year.


§ 1 Deadlines for passing courses

  1. Students have the right to two exams for all obligatory lectures. The first exam takes place during the regular exam session, and the second takes place during the make-up exam session for a given semester. The examiner can set an additional date for a make-up exam before the make-up exam session. This does not free the instructor from conducting an exam during the make-up exam session. Students can then choose one of the two make-up exam dates. In case of visiting instructor, exams sometimes take place earlier (before exam sessions).
  2. Course requirements for obligatory practical classes and electives are determined by the instructor. Instructors must inform students of course requirements and evaluation methods by the first day of the class in the semester. Instructors may not change these requirements during the semester.
  3. All evaluations and exams must be completed by the end of the make-up session for a given semester. Instructors cannot set a date later than this for evaluating students. All evaluations for practical classes and electives must be completed by the end of the normal (not make-up) exam session.
  4. If a student has not completed course requirements or passed the exam by the end of the appropriate exam session, the instructor can agree to evaluate the student during an extended exam session, as long as this session does not extend more than four weeks from the last day of the make-up session. Setting an extended exam session occurs only in extreme circumstances and requires the permission of the Vice-Dean of Student Affairs.
  5. It is not possible to make up a course for which attendance was obligatory and a student did not participate in the course. The attendance requirement should be stated in the syllabus and announced to students on the first meeting.

§ 2 Passing supervised research projects and masters seminars

  1. Supervised research is passed without a grade in the winter semester, as long as the student has completed work appropriate to the progress standards of writing a year-long research project. In the summer semester, supervised research is graded. Deadlines for passing supervised research are the same as for other courses.
  2. Masters seminars are passed without a grade for three consecutive semesters, as long as the student has completed work appropriate to the progress standards of writing a masters paper. The fourth and last semester of the masters seminar is graded. Deadlines for passing masters seminars are the same as for other courses, except for the last semester, which can be, according to the Statute of Studies at UW, extended by three months with the permission of the student's advisor and the Vice-Dean of Student Affairs.

§ 3 Filling out protocols and entering grades

  1. Instructors are obliged to enter grades into the internet protocol in a timely manner. These dates must fall before the end of exam sessions.
  2. Internet protocols containing entered grades will be closed a week after exam sessions. Changes or new entries cannot be made after this time.

§ 4 Credit accounting

  1. Each student who has an index book (index books are not obligatory) must turn it in by seven days after the end of the make-up exam session for a given semester at the latest. The index book should be turned in to the office with instructors' signatures for all classes for which the student was registered. The index book and examination card (printed by the office) should contain the following information about all courses for which the student was registered, regardless of whether the instructor has signed and/or entered a grade for a particular course: name of instructor, course title.
  2. A student who does not pass a course but has the instructor's agreement to complete the course requirements later should turn in a request for an extended exam session to the Vice-Dean of Student Affairs. This request should include the written approval of the course instructor. This extension can last at most four weeks from the end of the exam session. After the allotted time, a student who has still not passed the course can apply for conditional registration.
  3. A student who has an index book should turn it in along with the documents described above (list of courses and extension request).
  4. A student who does not turn in his/her index book (in case they have one) within the time allowed in ¤ 4 pt 1 will be expelled from the list of students.


Files to download and hints you will find in the Yearly paper and MA thesis section of this website.

The definition of degree program completion ("absolutorium") from 2015/16, after adopting updated Rules of Studying (link on the top o this page) - fulfilment of the requirements envisaged in a study plan, with the exception of the last cycle of the degree seminar, which is uncompleted due to the failure to submit a degree thesis and pass the final degree examination


If a student would like to discontinue their studies at WISP, he/she is required to write a request to the Vice-Dean for Student Affairs asking for crossing them out from the list of students (first through USOSweb and then the same thing printed from USOSweb and signed with a handwritten signature). The request needs to be delivered to the office in the paper form either personally or by post. A request written only in USOSweb is not enough in this case. You will find an instruction on how to write a request in USOSweb on Moodle.

At the same time, the student needs to fix a clearance form (“obiegówka”). This could be done in USOSweb, the student needs to answer few quetions, so does Faculty administration - it is to confirm that this student has returned all resources (eg. books from library) or paid all due payments. 

You will also be asked to return your student ID card.



From 2017/18 [IN POLISH] [IN ENGLISH]


From 2017/18 [IN POLISH] [IN ENGLISH]
From 2016/17 [IN POLISH] [IN ENGLISH]



How to use tests from the Diagnostic Techniques Lab: [a guide]